Saturday, December 15, 2012

Dating in Dallas.

No, this is not a dating service for those in Dallas. It is a post about a random date my husband took me to in Dallas. We woke up on Saturday morning and headed 1.5 hours to Fort Worth to visit the Kimbel Museum of Art.

The architecture alone was pretty amazing. Every hall had rounded ceilings with a sliver of light.
We visited at a great time. They had all of their permanent collection out. Usually they keep some in an exhibit that you have to pay to see. Everything was free when we went.
 

There were many pieces of Mayan art which we have been drawn to after having visited many of the ruins in Mexico and Belize.


We are always surprised to just see a Picasso hanging around. There were a couple others, too. 
This one was "Man with a Pipe"
 We both loved this Monet. The colors were so vibrant and the description said it was done during WW2 and it seems such a beautiful work to be done in a time like that.


 This was one of Neil's favorite. It is by Caravaggio, a favorite artist. 
This painting is "The Cardsharps" and wow was it nice and so realistic. I had to keep reminding myself that these were not photos!

These were some of my favorites:
I was drawn to this one because of its ability to draw you directly into the center of the scene.

 "Girl on the Pier" was so colorful yet felt ominous.
 
 But this was my favorite and Neil was able to tell right away that I would like it. 
Which is interesting because I am not sure why I like it so much....
I like the grey, blue colors.
I like the architectural interest.
And I LOVE that the man is stepping out of the frame. 
So I guess all of it :)
 We had a great time admiring this true art. It was a great date! My turn to make the next date and this will be tough to beat!

As we left we realized that the Modern Art Museum was right next door. We did not get to go in but I immediately recognized this HUGE piece outside.
The artist is KAWS who started out as a graffiti artist. I have recently gotten read up on him.
"KAWS often explores Pop-culture imagery in his work, borrowing from existing cartoon figures, advertisements, posters, television, and film. Tweaking and manipulating these universally identifiable images, KAWS morphs the familiar into something new."
He also had a balloon float in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade. He is there until Jan 6th so I'm glad we ran into him :)

Happy Dating to you!

1 comment:

  1. What a great husband !!! Thanks for sharing your trips with us. It is like coming along with you on your date. We love it when you share your lives with us.

    ReplyDelete