Monday, October 8, 2012

Countertop makeover.

I few months ago, I posted about our powder room makeover here.
Since that time, I have decided that it is my favorite room in the house - even if it is the smallest :)
Now that it is MY main bathroom, I realized how unrealistic it is to have white counters. 
You see, I had pained the counter white but unlike my painted kitchen counters, this one was not holding up as well. I know it has to do with the fact that I did not paint as many layers of polyurethane on this one. 

This is what it was looking like. It was very hard to clean, and was starting to chip.


I decided to try covering it with an adhesive self liner that cost $5.99 from Lowe's.
First, I used newspaper to make a template.
 I traced the sink and cut out the hole. Then I traced the template onto the back of the vinyl.
 The hardest part was removing the backing and placing it on evenly. 
This is what it looks like now.
The liner was a faux marble. 
I actually like the way it came out but now the IVORY sink is too obvious!! 
No worries...I have a plan for that too!

In case you are wondering...yes, we though about buying a premade counter/sink combo but we under estimated the awkwardness of this house. The size of the counter would require a "special" order which started at $550 for not-so-good looking options. Who knows, maybe one day :) Its just not a priority right now.

2 comments:

  1. This looks like a great improvement! Just coming up with the idea of what to do would put me out of the game !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to come for a visit before I don't even recognize the place :)))

    ReplyDelete