Saturday, April 30, 2011

Backwards crafting

Have you ever made something for no reason? Have you ever seen something and thought "I want to do that" and then you JUST DO IT! Have you ever stopped in the middle of something to think "what am I going to do with this?" . I call that crafting backwards!

I try not to but sometimes I cannot help it, especially when it costs nothing. Recently that has been the trend around here (GROW sign, garden markers)

Well this project all started with me cleaning out my craft closet. There was soooo many fabric pieces lying around. Later while blogging, I ran into yet another fabric banner and I knew that this was the project that would save me from my fabric mess! So I made not one, not two, but THREE!

For a quick tutorial:
1. First, I made a 12" triangle template from cardstock.
2. Then I took a bunch of scraps and cut out triangles until my heart was content.
3. When that was done, I put two triangles with the patterns touching and sewed two of the three edges together and ironed them. They should look like this.


4. I seprated the triangles so that I had three banners with 10-12 triangles each.
5. Then I grabbed some quilt binding left over from last time. However, for I needed two so I guess it did cost $2.76. I would recommend using double fold quilt binding as pictured below. This way, you do not have to iron or make hems.


6. I spaced out the triangles 4" apart between the binding and just sewed a line all the way down.The 4" is totally just my preference. I figured it would be a longer banner this way.



7. Then, I had to figure out what to do with them.

I decided on using one that matched our new chairs on the patio. And it was JUST the right size...its nice when things work out!


It makes me smile every time I see it and the MR. said that he feels like he is coming home to a party everyday.

Plus, no more fabric scraps!

1 comment:

  1. I like the triangles and I also like the red chairs but I am wondering when you find the time to sit in them?

    ReplyDelete